Scones might seem like one of those baked goods that you can only get at a coffee shop, but making scones is actually such an easy baking project to make at home! These apple cheddar scones are like a combination of biscuits and muffins, and they bake up in under 20 minutes. Make a batch to enjoy at weekend breakfast, or to enjoy as an afternoon snack with tea.
Apple Cheddar Scones
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk, or milk
- 1 large apple, such as Gala, Fiji or Granny Smith, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Honey, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together until combined. Cut butter into dry ingredients using tines of fork, until butter resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk to dry ingredients and stir until loosely combined. Fold in apple and cheddar until just combined.
- Press dough into a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured work surface. Cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges on prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden-brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm with honey, and enjoy.