We love how this recipe ticks all the weeknight dinner boxes: straightforward, delicious and efficient. A whole heap of veggies creates a bed for seasoned chicken thighs to roast upon, so as the meat bakes, its tasty juices enhance the simply dressed sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts. The finished dish is rustic, savory and as classic as it gets: perfectly roasted chicken with a side of savory veg.
Classic Baked Chicken Thighs and Winter Veggies
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||40 min||50 min|
You can also swap in any other hearty veggies, like turnips, russet or Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, parsnips or winter squash that you might have on hand.
- 1 pound bone-in chicken legs or thighs
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the balsamic dressing: In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, salt and brown sugar and stir. Set aside.
- Place Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes in a greased baking dish. Pour the balsamic dressing over the vegetables and stir until evenly coated.
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the baking dish.
- Roast for 25 minutes. Set the chicken aside and stir the vegetables. Replace the chicken and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove pan from oven and top with dried cranberries.