Boxed mac-and-cheese gets a serious upgrade in this clever recipe. Perfect for a stress-free weeknight dinner, we add pantry staples to the prepared mac, thicken it up with a creamy roux (a sauce made from flour, butter and milk), and top it with bread crumbs or crackers for a nice crunchy crust.
- Draining and rinsing canned products, like tomatoes and chicken, can reduce the sodium content by up to 23%.
- For vegetarians, feel free to omit the chicken.
Baked Mac-and-Cheese with Tomatoes, Peas and Chicken
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||25 min||35 min|
- 1 box macaroni-and-cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Italian cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (12.5-ounce) can chicken, drained and shredded with a fork
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs or crushed crackers
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare macaroni-and-cheese as directed on the package.
- Once prepared, return the macaroni-and-cheese to low heat. Add milk, cheese and flour, and stir until combined.
- Add in chicken, tomatoes, peas and seasonings. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish or 8×8” baking pan. Top with bread crumbs or crushed crackers.
- Bake for 20 minutes. To brown the bread crumbs, broil for 3 minutes or until the top is golden-brown.
- Recipe: Chelsea Johns
- Photo and video: Dish Works