To celebrate PA Beef Month this May, we’ve teamed up with the Pennsylvania Beef Council to bring you some great stories and content about this important agricultural product in our state!
We love a recipe that combines dishes in new ways, like these scrumptious baked sweet potato boats topped with taco-style ingredients. Pennsylvania-raised grown beef gets a spicy kick from taco seasoning and is mellowed out with cheddar, tomatoes and avocado for a Mexican-style melange of flavors. It’s a great healthy twist for Taco Tuesday or as a gluten-free option instead of a traditional burrito.
Mexican-Style Beefy Sweet Potato Boats
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 min||60 min||75 min|
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Prick potatoes with tines of a fork. Bake until potatoes are tender and a fork inserted easily comes out, about 45-50 minutes. Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are almost cooked, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking up into small crumbles with a wooden spoon, until fully cooked and golden-brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning until combined.
- Split top of sweet potatoes open with knife. Top potatoes evenly with ground beef mixture, cheddar, avocado, tomatoes and black olives (optional). Top with parsley (if using) and serve.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works