You may already know that beets are some of the most nutritious veggies out there, packed to the brim with antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. Their green tops keep the healthy party going strong! Like most dark, leafy greens, beet greens are loaded with iron and vitamins A and C, but the greens are also a great source of calcium, magnesium, folate, vitamin K, potassium and more!
When you buy local beets, the greens are still fresh, tender and intact, unlike the ones that are shipped across the country to the supermarket, which often are worse for the wear. Trim the beet greens and wash them well, then toss them into the food processor or blender to make a tasty pesto, using this recipe from PA Veggies. It’s great as an easy appetizer with Pennsylvania goat cheese, or mixed into salad dressing for— you guessed it — beet salad!
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|5 min||5 min||10 min|
- 4 cups beet greens
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend or process on high speed until all ingredients are pulverized into a smooth paste. You may need to scrape down the sides a few times to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Photo and recipe: Dish Works for PA Veggies