Hearty and cheesy, these breakfast quesadillas make a great start to the day. These go beyond standard egg-and-cheese tacos with the addition of iron-rich spinach and protein-packed beans. Feel free to swap in any of your favorite veggies, or some jalapeno peppers to add a bit of a kick!
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pinto beans, or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Red pepper hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in eggs and cumin and scramble, stirring constantly, until just set, about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat.
- Lay tortillas on a clean work surface. Layer 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup cheese and scrambled egg mixture on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half.
- Heat remaining oil in the same clean nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, lay assembled quesadilla in hot skillet and cook 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden-brown. Repeat with remaining assembled quesadilla. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce.