No matter how you slice it, brisket is better with wine. And we have the perfect pairing for a slow-cooked brisket that’s actually cooked in its pairing, Penns Woods Winery’s Bancroft Cabernet Sauvignon.
Cabernet Sauvignon Braised Brisket
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|30 min||240 min||270 min|
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (10- to 12-pound) beef brisket
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 2 (750 ml) bottles Penns Woods Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 cups beef stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large roasting pan, arrange onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves and garlic in an even layer.
- Place brisket on top of vegetables and rub with salt and mustard seeds.
- Pour both bottles of wine and beef stock around the brisket. Cover the pan with foil and place in oven for 3–4 hours, or until the center of the brisket reaches 160ºF.
- Place the cooked brisket on a serving platter, cover with foil and allow it to rest.
- Skim the fat from the leftover liquid in the roasting pan, then pour the liquid and vegetables into a blender and puree the vegetables to make a sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the brisket into thick slices and serve with the vegetable wine sauce.
Photos and recipe by Dish Works.