The floral sweetness of cantaloupes make the perfect backdrop for bold, salty flavors. Perhaps you’ve seen prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe slices as appetizers or party snacks, which play the sweet/salty/savory combo to a tee. This simple, elegant salad borrows similar flavors, but favors super-quick prep and unfussy presentation. After frying up a few strips of bacon, some of the reserved bacon fat is used to coax an impressive depth of flavor from chopped garlic and cashews. These are then combined with the cooked bacon for a delicious crumble that makes the melon’s fragrant sweetness sing. The crumble also makes a glorious garnish for soups and green salads!
Cantaloupe with Bacon-Cashew Crumble
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry roasted cashews, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 small cantaloupe, seeded and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Using a spoon, skim off all but 2 teaspoons of bacon fat. Stir in garlic and cashews and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in reserved bacon and brown sugar and remove from heat.
- Top cantaloupe with warm bacon mixture, and serve.