Warm spiced apple scones are made even better with the addition of Chaddsford Winery Spiced Apple Wine.
As a sensational breakfast treat or a finishing touch to a spectacular home-cooked meal, these wine-spiked apple scones will have your family begging for more, and dinner guests asking for the recipe!
Chaddsford Winery Spiced Apple Scones
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|25 min||20 min||45 min|
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 cups Chaddsford Spiced Apple Wine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, cold and diced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two baking sheets.
- Heat a sauté pan on medium low heat. Add butter and melt. Add the apples to pan and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Once cooked, allow to cool.
- Pour wine into a medium-size pot and bring to simmer. Reduce the wine by half. Once reduced, remove 1/2 cup of wine and cool. Add the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the remaining wine, return pot to the heat and warm just until sugar melts. Hold wine syrup until ready to serve.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter to the flour. Using your hands, press the butter into the flour, breaking it up as you go until the butter is the size of peas.
- Make a well in the center of the butter and flour mixture. Add yogurt, egg and 1/2 cup of wine reserved earlier. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured service and roll into a 1/4″-thick square. Using a knife, cut dough into three strips and then into about 12 triangles. Place the scones onto a baking sheet and brush the top with milk. Place scones in oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- When ready to serve the scones, drizzle with the reserved wine syrup.
Recipe and photo by Dish Works.