Whether you’re looking for a great side dish for a holiday meal, or you just love cozy, comfort foods for dinner, these cheesy scalloped potatoes hit the spot! Almost any type of potato can work here (even sweet potatoes!), and you can easily swap white cheddar for yellow cheddar or Jack cheese.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, or white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring often, until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in milk until fully combined. Cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Layer half of the potatoes in prepared baking dish. Spread half the cheese sauce over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese sauce. Bake until potatoes are tender and top is golden-brown, about 45-55 minutes. Top with parsley, and serve.