Spicy, warming and perfectly salty-sweet, this chicken and pineapple curry is a unique dish to try for dinner! Curry powder (a blend of multiple spices; see below on how to make your own!) is beloved for its earthy, slightly bitter flavor, which is mellowed out so nicely by coconut or regular milk. Rounded out with sweet potatoes and bell peppers, this colorful dish is sure to be one of your new favorites!
Tip: Make your own curry powder! Combine 2 teaspoons ground turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or 1/2 teaspoon paprika in a small bowl until combined.
Chicken and Pineapple Curry
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||30 min||40 min|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk, or 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice, for serving
- 2 teaspoon dried cilantro, or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden-brown, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add pineapple, sweet potato, peppers and onions and simmer, over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender and chicken is fully cooked, about 20-25 minutes. Top with cilantro (if using) and serve with rice.
Thanks to GIANT Food Stores, which has partnered with PA Eats to help create recipes for our Nourish PA and Nourish PA for Kids series.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works