Mashed potatoes are an important part of many families’ holiday tables, but there are so many different ways to make a mash using other root vegetables! Not only can this method bring some color to your meal, but you can pack in some more nutrition, as well. If you’ve got sweet potatoes, celeriac, carrots or parsnips, try this recipe using one of those, or any combination.
Easy Holiday Mash
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||20 min||30 min|
Tip: You can use plant-based milk and olive oil to make this vegan!
- 4 pounds potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery root, parsnips or carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 cup milk (any kind), kept hot
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh herbs or scallions, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes or other vegetables into a large pot of cold salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain.
- In a large pot, mash potatoes using a potato masher or fork. Fold in milk and butter until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Recipe: Dish Works
- Photo: BigStock