You can do so much more with canned vegetables than just saute them as a side dish for meats. They also make a great addition to cold salads, like this healthy green bean and tomato salad. This meat- and dairy-free (also gluten-free!) dish reminds us of a salad you might pick up at a deli or salad bar, but it’s much more affordable to make at home. The tender green beans, juicy tomatoes, sharp onions and crunchy nuts are the perfect combo, all pulled together with a tangy lemon dressing.
Green Bean and Tomato Salad
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 1 tablespoon)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans whole green beans, drained
- 3 medium-size tomatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 small red onion, or white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, or chopped pecans (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk or stir olive oil and lemon juice together until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add green beans, tomatoes, red onion and almonds (if using) and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy.
Loving our Nourish PA series?