This hearty ham and lentil salad makes the perfect lunch for three reasons:
- You can make a big batch of it and eat it all week (it gets better and better as it marinates).
- It’s packed with protein, so you’ll have plenty of energy throughout the afternoon.
- The bright lemon dressing unites all of the ingredients’ flavors: earthy lentils, savory ham, fresh peas, juicy tomatoes and herbaceous peas.
Bonus: You can put a fried egg on top and have it for brunch!
Ham and Lentil Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||20 min||30 min|
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup canned peas, drained
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Stir oil and lemon juice together in small bowl until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Rinse lentils in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water, removing any debris or rocks. Combine lentils and water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until tender, about 17-20 minutes. Drain lentils and return to saucepan.
- Add reserved lemon vinaigrette, ham, peas and tomatoes to cooked lentils and toss to coat. Top with parsley, and serve warm.
- Recipe, photo and video: Dish Works