This holiday season, you may be looking for an affordable alternative to a whole turkey. If so, a roasted chicken or just a turkey breast might be the way to go! These poultry proteins can still make a festive centerpiece for your Thanksgiving meal, but take far less time and effort to prepare!
Holiday Roasted Chicken or Turkey Breast
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 min||80 min||195 min|
Tip: Make this recipe in a slow-cooker! Place chicken in a large slow-cooker. Add 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth and remaining syrup. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
- 1/2 cup syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lemon, juiced, or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, rosemary or sage (optional)
- 1 (5-6 pound) whole chicken, or 1 (5-6 pound) bone-in, skin-on turkey breast
- 2 pounds carrots or parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, combine syrup, lemon juice, salt, pepper and thyme (if using).
- Place carrots on rimmed baking sheet. Tie chicken legs together and tuck wing tips underneath body. Place chicken, or turkey breast-side-up on baking sheet. Brush syrup mixture over chicken or turkey.
- Roast, basting with syrup mixture every 30 minutes, until golden-brown or until meat thermometer reads 165°F, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Carve chicken or turkey. Serve with roasted carrots and enjoy.
- Recipe: Dish Works
- Photo: BigStock