For a hearty, quick breakfast or brunch dish, try these cheesy, melt-y sandwiches. Instead of pan frying the ham, the Swiss cheese and slices of ham go into the oven for a quick toast before they’re topped with an egg. Feel free to customize as you like: Omit the mustard, add a drizzle of hot sauce, or tuck in juicy slices of tomato!
Open-Faced Hot Ham-and-Swiss Sandwich
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard, or Dijon mustard
- 8 slices deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, or olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over each slice of bread. Top each slice of bread, mustard-side-up, with 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of cheese. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake until cheese is melted and bread is toasted, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet and fry, covered, 2-3 minutes for a runny yolk, and 3-5 minutes for a completely set yolk.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with parsley and serve.