This vegetarian main dish is a winner on multiple fronts: The combination of lentils and chickpeas provide a substantial amount of protein and both are quite inexpensive (for the Nourish PA tutorial on how to cook dried beans, head here), the veggies are colorful and tasty, and a little shower of Parmesan provides an extra pop of flavor.
Lentil and Roasted Vegetable Bowls
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sweet potatoes and broccoli on a parchment-paper-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Rinse lentils in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water, removing any debris or rocks. Cover lentils with cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until tender, about 17-20 minutes.
- Drain any excess water, and divide evenly between 4 bowls. Top with roasted vegetables and chickpeas. Garnish with Parmesan (if using) and serve.
Looking for more Nourish PA recipes?