These lentil sloppy joes are a delicious way to cut back on meat, and deliver plant-based nutrition without relying on processed soy products. To make a gluten-free version, swap out the hamburger buns for lettuce or cabbage wraps!
Lentil Sloppy Joes
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||13 min||23 min|
Tip: Substitute ketchup, brown sugar and mustard for 1 (15-ounce) can sloppy joe sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, or mustard powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add ketchup, lentils, sugar and mustard and cook, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens and flavors develop, about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve lentil mixture on toasted buns with cheddar cheese (if using).
Thanks to GIANT Food Stores, which has partnered with PA Eats to help create recipes for our Nourish PA and Nourish PA for Kids series.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works