This simple, satisfying quick bread is the perfect way to use up bruised apples. Try a slice toasted and spread with butter or cream cheese for breakfast, or drizzled with honey for a healthy dessert.
Apple Cinnamon Bread
|1 loaf of bread|
- 1 large apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9×5” loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together diced apple and granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until well-incorporated, and set aside.
- In a third bowl, stir together melted butter, egg, brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Mix until well-incorporated, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Fold in apples and walnuts (if using).
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Allow the pan to cool (at least 30 minutes) before removing bread from the pan.
- Recipe: Chelsea Johns
- Video and photo: Dish Works