Not sure what to do with eggplant? This tasty stew, which is a riff on classic ratatouille, turns the eggplant silky smooth, and the addition of green bell peppers and canned tomatoes means even more veggies in every hearty serving.
French-Inspired Eggplant Stew
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small eggplant (stem removed, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch planks, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil, eggplant, onion and green pepper. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in salt and garlic and cook another minute.
- Add canned tomatoes with juice and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat. Remove the lid, stir in black olives and fresh basil. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.