Color, texture and flavor: This salad has it all! A simple dressing of lemon, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper is all it takes to enhance the tasty ingredients. Make a double batch to have nutritious lunches lined up all week long.
Hearty Veg, Lentil and Brussels Sprouts Salad
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||35 min||45 min|
Making lentils (which are a total nutritional powerhouse) is quick and easy! To cook them, simply combine 1 cup of dried green or black lentils with 3 cups of water or broth in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and put a lid on the pot so it is partially covered. Simmer gently until the lentils are soft but not mushy. This should take about 30 to 40 minutes. You might need to peek under the lid occasionally to make sure there is enough liquid. If not, just add a splash or two more! When the lentils are ready, drain them in a colander.
Want to learn more about cooking dried beans and legumes? Check out our guide to cooking dried beans.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 3 cups of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 16 ounces lentils, cooked according to package directions
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim Brussels sprouts and slice in half. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1″ cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, toss Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes in olive oil, pinch of salt, pinch of black pepper, and juice from half a lemon. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 35 minutes, until vegetables turn golden brown and are fork-tender. Remove from oven and allow to cook on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to large mixing bowl and toss with cooked lentils. Add remaining lemon juice. Squeeze the second half of lemon and add the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer salad to 4 to 6 plates and serve at room temperature.
- Recipe: Ryan Ellis
- Video: Dish Works