Vibrant and colorful, this fresh recipe brings together crunchy, spring-y vegetables and coaxes out their natural sweetness. A simple simmer creates an appetizing crisp-tender texture and finishes them with a honeyed orange glaze and some walnuts for a nice crunch. Try it as a side dish with roasted meats, or with a hearty grain or bean salad.
Orange-and-Honey-Glazed Carrots with Radishes
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 min||12 min||27 min|
- 1 pound small carrots, peeled and tops removed
- 1 pound medium radishes, halved
- 1 cup fresh pearl onions, peeled, or frozen (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cover carrots, radishes and onions (if using) with water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, covered until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes. Drain vegetables.
- Return vegetables to skillet. Add honey, orange juice and butter. Cook, over medium heat, tossing gently, until honey mixture reduces and vegetables are glazed, about 2-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with walnuts and parsley. Serve and enjoy.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works