This recipe for PA Dutch strawberry shortcakes is a simple preparation, letting local strawberries take center stage. After a quick maceration, the berries are layered atop crumbled fresh baked shortcake (homemade — try this recipe — or from your local bakery), and the whole thing is doused in cold PA milk and topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Like so many traditional PA Dutch and Amish recipes, this technique is straightforward, homey and uncomplicated – a comforting, timeless dish to enjoy with friends and family.
PA Dutch Strawberry Shortcakes
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|30 min||0 min||30 min|
Feel free to omit the milk and simply top with whipped cream, if preferred!
- 1 pound PA strawberries, hulled and halved, if large
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large fresh-baked shortcake
- Local whole milk
- Fresh whipped cream, made with PA cream
- Combine strawberries with lemon juice and sugar in medium bowl. Let sit 20-25 minutes, until strawberries are coated in sweet syrup.
- Break apart fresh shortcake into bite-sized pieces and scatter in wide bowl. Top with strawberries and their syrup. Pour milk over shortcake and strawberries and top with whipped cream.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works