If you love French toast, but aren’t a fan of standing over the stove to flip slice after slice, this is a great recipe to try. Instead of frying up one piece of French toast at a time, place slices of whole wheat bread in a casserole dish and cover them with a sweet eggy mixture and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Bake the dish to golden brown, then top with peaches and maple syrup for a delicious breakfast treat!
Peach French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf sliced whole wheat bread
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) can sliced peaches, drained, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut each bread slice in half diagonally. Overlap bread slices, crust side up, in prepared baking dish. In a large bowl, mix milk, eggs, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg together until combined. Pour egg mixture over bread. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, until bread absorbs egg mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over bread mixture. Bake until light golden-brown and the center is set, about 25-35 minutes. Top with peaches. Slice and serve with maple syrup.