Oats might not seem too exciting, but it’s actually because of their neutral, plain flavor that they can be so much fun to cook with. A bowl of oatmeal is like a blank canvas on which so many flavors can be painted! This inspiring version uses pumpkin puree, cinnamon and pumpkin pie seasoning to bring cozy warmth to the breakfast table. And because it’s cooked in the microwave, it’s just as fast as making a packet of instant oatmeal (and so much better-tasting and nutritious, too!).
Pumpkin Oatmeal with Walnuts
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|1 min||4 min||5 min|
- Feel free to swap in any nuts that you have on hand in place of walnuts.
- Leftover pumpkin can be frozen for up to a year! Simply put the pumpkin puree into a plastic zip-top bag and thaw for a few hours before using.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional toppings: applesauce, chopped apples, dried cranberries, Greek yogurt
- Combine oats, a pinch of salt, and milk in a large microwave-safe bowl. (Choose a bowl large enough to prevent the oats from cooking up over the sides). Microwave for 2 minutes, or until cooked.
- Stir in pumpkin puree and spices. If needed, microwave for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add chopped walnuts and any additional toppings, as desired, and serve.
- Recipe: Chelsea Johns
- Photo and video: Dish Works