Add a unique twist to your classic pickled egg recipe by adding your favorite Pennsylvania red wine! The combination of the merlot and red beets makes for a vivid, healthful snack.
Red Wine and Beet Quick-Pickled Eggs
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|5 min||40 min||45 min|
- 12 eggs
- 1 (750 ml) bottle Pennsylvania Merlot
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped beets
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a large spoon, carefully add eggs to pot. Boil eggs for 8 minutes.
- Drain eggs and run cold water over them to cool. Peel eggs and set aside.
- In a large nonreactive pot, add merlot, vinegar, beets, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, black pepper and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes then reduce heat. Remove pot from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour beet brine into a large container and add eggs. Cover container and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove eggs from brine to serve.
Recipe and photo by Dish Works.