Take a box of seasoned rice from “standard” to snazzy — and add a lot more nutrition — with the simple additions of frozen spinach and roasted chickpeas. The greens and legumes are packed with protein, and spinach is a superb source of iron! This recipe comes together in no time, and is a great way to use up leftover chickpeas that you’ve cooked from dried.
- Additional ingredients may be required to prepare the seasoned rice as directed on the box. Be sure to check the directions before starting. This recipe works best with non-Asian-style instant seasoned rice products.
- For storing leftovers, store rice and chickpeas separately in the fridge if possible, to prevent the chickpeas from getting soggy.
Boxed Seasoned Rice with Frozen Spinach and Roasted Chickpeas
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|5 min||30 min||35 min|
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 (7-9 oz.) package of seasoned rice
- 1 (12-oz.) package of frozen spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Dry chickpeas between 2 paper towels and remove any stray skins.
- Transfer chickpeas to a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir chickpeas until evenly coated.
- Roast chickpeas for 20-25 minutes, or until chickpeas are golden and crunchy.
- While the chickpeas roast, prepare the rice as directed on the package. Add the frozen spinach and stir. Cook over low to medium heat until excess liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, top the rice with roasted chickpeas. Add Parmesan cheese (optional).
- Recipe: Chelsea Johns
- Video and photo: Dish Works