If you need a simple, not-too-sweet dessert, look no further! This skillet apple cinnamon cake comes together so easily using pantry staples, and it features a delightfully tender crumb. Use any types of apples that you have on hand!
Skillet Apple Cinnamon Cake
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for greasing
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 small apples, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet or 8×8-inch baking dish with butter. In a large bowl, mix sugar, melted butter, egg and vanilla together until combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir together until just combined. Fold in apples until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet. Bake until light golden-brown, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 30-45 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Top with powdered sugar (if using). Slice into wedges and serve with ice cream.
To explore our full collection of Nourish PA recipes,