How do you improve upon a classic grilled cheese? This might sound like a trick question (what could be better than melted cheese on grilled bread?). But after spending the day with Ben Wenk of Three Springs Fruit Farm and Ploughman Cider, we learned a couple of tricks that rocked our world. His ultimate PA grilled cheese starts with locally baked bread, then he layers on cheese and toppings, all from his native Adams County. Our biggest takeaway? Apple butter + caramelized onions + cheddar is a match made in sandwich heaven!
The Ultimate PA Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon PA butter
- 2 slices local farmhouse wheat bread (we like Bakewell Farm)
- 1-2 tablespoons Three Springs Fruit Farm Apple Butter
- Onions caramelized in Ploughman Cider, to taste
- 1/2 cup Pennsylvania aged cheddar
- 6 thin slices PA-grown Pink Lady apples
- Add the butter to a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Spread one piece of bread with apple butter.
- Once the butter has melted, place the bread in the skillet, apple-butter-side up. Spoon on your desired amount of caramelized onions.
- Add the cheese, and top with the apple slices. Place the second piece of bread on top.
- Allow the sandwich to cook until the underside is browned. Carefully flip the sandwich and allow the other side to cook until the cheese is melted.
- Take the grilled cheese off the heat and carefully slice in half on a cutting board. Eat hot.