This hearty stew combines two protein powerhouses: lean ground turkey and chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans. Feel free to add any other spices from your pantry that you wish, including red pepper flakes, if you like a hit of heat!
Turkey and Chickpea Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups of drained cooked dried beans
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced white potatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice (optional), for serving
- Heat oil in large pot or saucepan over medium heat, and add garlic, stirring until it begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until browned and crumbled, breaking up with wooden spoon.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, potatoes, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fill empty tomato can with water and pour into pot. Bring ingredients to boil, and reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer.
- Simmer for one hour. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary. To serve, remove bay leaves and spoon over rice in serving bowls.