Transform leftover grains and roasted veggies into a colorful, nutrient-dense vegetarian burrito bowl using this recipe from PA Veggies. The best part is that it only takes about 15 minutes to whip up (perfect for a quick lunch or dinner on one of those nights where you don’t have the energy for a whole song and dance in the kitchen). Spicy beans and homemade salsa kick up a colorful combo of local corn, squash, peppers, radishes, greens, cukes and kale, though feel free to add in any produce you’ve got in the fridge!
Veggie Burrito Bowls
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or any whole grain, like quinoa or buckwheat)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 cup radish or cucumber, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh kale, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1–2 cups leafy greens, like lettuce, arugula or spinach
- In a small saucepan, heat black beans over medium heat. Stir in spices and rice until combined and heated through.
- To make the salsa, stir together tomato, onion, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Spoon rice and beans into the bottom of two serving bowls. Top with remaining veggies and tomato salsa.