Crunchy, sweet, earthy, fresh: This dish hits all the notes you want from a hearty, healthy salad. Watermelon isn’t often given the savory treatment, but it really shines in a different way when it’s paired with vegetables and a tangy vinaigrette. Serve this as a side dish at a cookout, or on its own for a light lunch or dinner!
Watermelon, Lentil and Kale Salad
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander or ground cumin (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 watermelon, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Rinse lentils in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water, removing any debris or rocks. Cover lentils with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until tender, about 17-20 minutes. Drain and return to saucepan. Let sit at room temperature until cooled.
- In large bowl, stir oil, lemon juice and coriander or cumin (if using) together until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add cooked lentils, watermelon, kale and red onion, and toss to coat. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve.