Pancakes are the ultimate cozy brunch food! This recipe really stacks up the flavor with nutty whole wheat flour adding nutrition and hearty texture, and a caramelized banana topping for a decadent extra detail.
If you’ve got slightly browned or bruised bananas, this is a great way to use them up! The banana topping is also delicious served atop oatmeal, yogurt, or even ice cream. If you don’t have bananas on hand, the pancake recipe works quite well on its own, with a drizzle of maple syrup or swipe of jam.
Whole Wheat Pancakes with Caramelized Banana Topping
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 min||10 min||25 min|
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, plus more to lightly grease pan
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup and add enough milk to make 2/3 cup total liquid. Stir to combine and let stand for 10 minutes, or until mixture begins to curdle. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add milk/vinegar mixture and egg, whisking to combine. Then add mashed banana, melted butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, gently stirring (do not overmix).
- Add reserved melted butter (or neutral oil) to a pan over medium heat. Then add 1/3 cup batter to pan and cook until small bubbles form, about 2-3 minutes. Flip pancake and cook 1-2 minutes more. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- In a separate pan, melt butter and mix in brown sugar over medium heat. Add in bananas, sprinkle of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly golden brown.
- Top pancakes with bananas.
- Recipe: Chelsea Johns
- Photo and video: Dish Works