With support from the Pennsylvania Beef Council, we’ve developed a special group of Nourish PA recipes to celebrate PA Beef Month (every May). Canned beef and ground beef are commonly found at food pantries across Pennsylvania, and we hope that these recipes provide inspiration to make delicious, healthy and affordable meals!
Cheesesteaks are a bit of an obsession here in Pennsylvania, and we’re happy to report that making your own version at home is a snap! Using canned or frozen beef, your favorite sliced cheese and jarred peppers, these delicious subs are going to be a hit at lunch, dinner or your next game-day gathering!
Beef and Cheese Sub
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||5 min||15 min|
Tip: If using frozen sliced sandwich steaks, working in batches, cook for 5-8 minutes until fully cooked. Proceed with step 2.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can fully cooked ground beef, drained, or 1 (9-ounce) box frozen sliced sandwich steaks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (6-inch) sub rolls, toasted
- 8 slices cheese (provolone, cheddar, Swiss, American, etc.)
- 3/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers, sliced (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking up into small crumbles with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, until beef is fully heated through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top rolls evenly with cheese, cooked beef and peppers (if using). Serve and enjoy.
- Photo and recipe: Dish Works