Got a bunch of beets but you’re not sure how to prepare them? Breaking down beets just takes a few steps to complete; once they’re washed, peeled and prepped, use them to make recipes like roasted beet and walnut salad! Save the greens to make easy beet greens pesto.
How to Prepare Beets
- 1 bunch of beets
- First, scrub the beets under cold running water, and allow to dry.
- Holding the beets in place with one hand, cut off the greens with a knife where they connect to the top of the beets.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel one beet at a time. Wearing gloves helps prevent the beet juice from staining your hands!
- Using a knife, trim the ends off both the top and bottom of the beets.
- Place the flat side of the beet on a cutting board and cut the beet in half.
- Slice through each half of the beet to create half moon shapes. Or, dice the beet into cubes, if you prefer. Now the beets are ready for whatever recipe you’re making!
- Photos: Dish Works