Pennsylvania melons are in the height of their season from July through October. This gives you plenty of chances to enjoy these sweet, smooth, juicy fruits: Top your morning granola with cantaloupe, slice up a watermelon at lunch, and make this simple-but-stunning cucumber melon granita recipe from PA Veggies to serve after dinner. For best results, use local cucumbers and PA raw honey for a light, refreshing frozen treat that just requires a few minutes of prep time!
For more creative ways to prepare beautiful, seasonal local produce, sign up for a copy of PA Veggies’ new cookbook!
PA Cucumber Melon Granita
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||0 min||10 min|
- 1 ripe honeydew melon, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raw PA honey, plus more, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
- Pinch salt
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth, working in batches, if necessary. Adjust amount of honey and black pepper, to taste.
- Pour mixture into rimmed baking sheet or wide baking dish and freeze for 1 hour. Rake mixture with fork and return to freezer. Repeat process every hour until mixture is flaky, about 4 hours. Store covered in freezer until ready to serve, raking with fork before scooping into a serving glass or bowl.
- Recipe & feature photo: Dish Works for PA Veggies