Looking for a mocktail mixer with the perfect sweet/tart blend, made with local produce and products? You’ve got to try making a Pennsylvania apple shrub! It’s simple as can be, requiring just a few ingredients. Once blended with a splash of seltzer, this sparkly and refreshing drink is perfect for when you’re toasting a special occasion or just enjoying a cozy weeknight with loved ones.
Shrubs, sometimes called “drinking vinegars,” tone down the bite of vinegar with sweetness (fresh PA apple juice, in this case), for a complex, sophisticated flavor that will do wonders for your non-alcoholic cocktail game. Plus, drinking even just a little bit of apple cider vinegar (dubbed “ACV” in the wellness community) has proven health benefits, and sipping a shrub is a lot more enjoyable than downing a straight shot of the stuff. As far as kitchen DIY projects go, making a shrub is low-effort and practically no-mess. If you can make iced tea or lemonade, you can make a shrub!
PA Apple Vinegar Ginger Shrub
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|5 min||5 min||10 min|
- 1/4 cup diced apple
- 1 slice fresh ginger, peeled
- 4 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons PA maple syrup
- 20 to 24 ounces PA apple juice
- Seltzer water, to taste
- Ice cubes
- Place diced apple and ginger in the bottom of a quart mason jar and muddle lightly.
- Pour vinegar, maple syrup and apple juice into jar.
- Place lid on jar, tightly, and shake to combine all ingredients.
- Serve over ice, topped with seltzer, for a refreshing beverage.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works