Apple pie is a quintessential autumn dessert favorite! To make the most of the incredible PA apples available during the season, make an apple pie recipe with something extra. Our Pennsylvania Apple Wine Pie takes traditional apple pie and kicks it up a notch with a splash of Pennsylvania apple wine!
Pennsylvania Apple Wine Pie
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|45 min||40 min||85 min|
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening, chilled
- ¾ cup cold butter, cubed, divided
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- ¾ cup Pennsylvania apple wine, divided
- 5 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To make pie dough, in a medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Add shortening and ½ cup butter. Using your hands, crumble shortening and butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. Add ice water and ¼ cup apple wine, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until it is just moist enough for dough to come together. Flatten dough into disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20–30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, cinnamon and ½ cup apple wine.
- To make crumble topping, in a small bowl, combine ¼ cup butter and brown sugar together until it resembles a coarse meal.
- To assemble pie, once dough is chilled, roll it out and line a pie tin. Fill with apples and cover with topping.
- Bake 40 minutes, until the crumble and crust are golden brown.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream.
Recipe and photo by Dish Works.