Many venison recipes are rich, hearty and robust, but that’s not the only way to spin this lean protein! This light, vibrant salad from PA-based blogger Allie Doran‘s new cookbook, “Venison Every Day,” shows a different side of venison, with marinated steaks atop an abundance of herbs and crisp veggies. Her thoughts on the recipe:
My love for Mediterranean flavors runs deep. This is one of the go-to weeknight meals that I can throw together and use up a lot of different cuts of venison. It features my All-Purpose Marinade, which tenderizes and adds so much wonderful flavor to the meat. The fresh herbs, pita and hummus really take this dish to the next level!
Herby Mediterranean Pita Salad with Venison Steaks
- 1 pound (455 g) venison steaks, chops, backstrap or tenderloin
- All-Purpose Marinade (see page 123 in cookbook, or access link for recipe above)
- 2 pitas
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) plus 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 to 8 cups greens (like chopped romaine or spring mix)
- 2 cups (298 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 seedless English cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons (8 g) chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 g) hummus of choice
- Cut the venison into bite-size cubes and place in a zip-top bag or large bowl. Add the marinade and stir to coat the meat. Seal the bag or cover the bowl and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high, add the venison and cook, stirring occasionally, until medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the venison cooks, slice each pita into 4 triangles. Lay them on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the garlic powder. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until they’re warm and toasty. Set aside until it’s time to serve.
- Add the mixed greens to a large bowl, or divide among four bowls. Top with the tomatoes, cucumber, oregano and mint.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, remaining 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Once the venison and pitas are finished cooking, lay them over the vegetables and add a generous dollop of hummus.
- Photo and recipe: Allie Doran