When fall rolls around each year, pumpkin season begins! This easy recipe takes the concept of apple butter and gives it an autumnal twist. The canned pumpkin is lightly sweetened with apple juice and honey, and spiced with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The resulting creamy, cozy spread is great on toast, muffins, and even pancakes!
|Yields 4 cups|
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||20 min||30 min|
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup honey, or syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Sliced bread, toasted, for serving
- Combine pumpkin puree, apple juice, honey, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully spoon pumpkin butter into canning jars. Screw lids tightly onto jars. Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Spread pumpkin butter on toasted bread and serve.
Thanks to GIANT Food Stores, which has partnered with PA Eats to help create recipes for our Nourish PA and Nourish PA for Kids series.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works