Gently smashing cucumbers makes them even more absorbent for the delicious soy sauce dressing in this recipe! Don’t skip the draining step: This is crucial to make the cucumbers extra-crunchy and less watery. Serve this as a vegetarian lunch, or as a side dish for any type of stir-fry or noodle bowl!
Smashed Cucumber Salad
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||0 min||10 min|
- 8 medium cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a large resealable bag. Smash cucumbers with rolling pin, breaking into irregularly sized pieces. Transfer to a colander and let drain for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, red onion, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes (if using) until coated. Top with peanuts (if using). Store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Thanks to GIANT Food Stores, which has partnered with PA Eats to help create recipes for our Nourish PA and Nourish PA for Kids series.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works