No need to go to your local pub for awesome wings! We’ve got a seasonally inspired recipe for air-fried wings coated in a tangy, sweet-and-savory sauce, made with PA strawberries, ginger and chipotle. Paired with a side of scratch-made blue cheese sauce, you’ve got a dish that’s perfect for an at-home happy hour or a game-day spread.
PA Strawberry Chipotle Air Fryer Wings
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 min||30 min||45 min|
Strawberry Chipotle Sauce
- 2 cups PA strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in medium, non-reactive pot over medium heat. Bring to boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until strawberries break down and sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- 1 pound PA chicken wings, separated and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- While the sauce simmers, preheat air fryer.
- Pat wings dry and toss with oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in single layer on rack or in basket of air fryer and cook at 380°F for 16 to 18 minutes, until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked through. Do not stack wings, work in batches if necessary.
- Taste sauce and add salt if needed. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Use immersion blender to puree sauce, or carefully transfer to blender and puree sauce until smooth. Toss wings with 1 cup sauce until coated. Reserve any remaining sauce for future use on chicken, pork, or your favorite grilled vegetables.
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- In a small bowl, combine blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve wings with blue cheese dipping sauce.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works