If you’re in need of some adult beverages to get you through COVID-19-related quarantine, we urge you to shop local! There are so many amazing producers in Pennsylvania, that pretty much any kind of libation you desire is available within 100 miles of your home.
Supporting local cider makers is like doubling down on your local love; hard cider is an agricultural product, and most of the cider made in PA is made with Pennsylvania apples and fruit! That means, with your purchase, you’re helping two struggling industries through this rough time, and as a reward, you get delicious, fresh small-batch cider to help you enjoy some evening or weekend relaxation. Because bars and taprooms are currently closed, many cideries have shifted to online ordering systems, home deliveries, and curbside pick-ups.
Here’s how to buy Pennsylvania cider from home:
Armstrong Valley Winery (Halifax, PA): Wines made on 100 acres of farmland first established in 1769 by Robert Armstrong.
- Shop online: A small selection of ciders, alongside fruit wine, and dry and sweet traditional wines.
- Items can be shipped within PA; take-out wine and boozy slushies are available at the winery Monday through Thursday from noon to 6 p.m., Friday from noon to 10 p.m., Saturday from 1 to 9 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.
Arsenal Cider House (Pittsburgh, PA): A U.S. Civil War thematic winery specializing in small-batch, handcrafted hard apple cider, “cider style” fruit/grape wines and mead.
- Shop online: Cider, fruit wine, and mead. Packaged goods and 1-liter growlers available for pick-up (check the website for rotating offerings).
- Pre-order for curbside pickup at all four locations! UPS delivery available to 39 states.
Big Hill Ciderworks (Gardners, PA): Orchard and cidery utilizing traditional, time-honored cider-making methods of slow fermentation, barrel-aging and wild yeast fermentation.
- Shop online: A variety of farmhouse ciders, including single large format bottles and multi-packs.
- Shipping is available (free ground shipping on orders of 6 bottles or more); pick-up is available at the orchard.
Brother Monk Cider (Northern Cambria, PA): Specializing in handcrafted hard cider, cider-style fruit wine and mead.
- Shop online: Variety of 4-pack 12-ounce cans and 500-ml bottles.
- Shipping available across PA; free shipping offered on orders of 6 or more items.
Cassel Vineyards (Hershey, PA): Family-owned, 5-acre vineyard growing six varieties of grapes.
- Shop online: One type of cider available, alongside many fruit and traditional wines.
- Orders shipped across PA. Pick-up orders cannot be placed online; text or call in your order for pick-ups at (717) 533-2008.
Deep Roots Hard Cider (Sugar Run, PA): After two years of selling hard ciders at festivals and farmers markets, Deep Roots built a tasting room to bring you the best hard ciders they can.
- A list of current items is shared weekly on Facebook; products include pure apple ciders and sweet fruit-blend ciders.
- Deliveries offered to the Bloomsburg, Towanda/Sayre and Scranton/Wilkes Barre areas; open for pick-ups Friday, Saturday and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.
Dressler Estate (Downingtown, PA): Husband-and-wife team Brian and Olga Dressler turned their passion for DIY cider-making into a craft cider brand.
- Shop online: 500-ml bottles of still and sparkling cider.
- Weekly pick-up available at Dressler Estate’s location in Downingtown or the Downingtown Farmers Market; local delivery available on orders of $60 or more.
Frecon Farms (Boyertown, PA): Growing some of Pennsylvania’s finest tree fruits and berries since 1944.
- Shop online: Everyday ciders and Estate Series ciders.
- All orders should be made 24 hours in advance of pick-up at the Frecon farm stand.
Godfrey Run Farm (Lake City, PA): A quaint farm market, cider mill and wine shop.
- Shop online; 4-packs and single bottles of cider
- Pick-up at the market, which is open Friday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Good Intent Cider (Bellefonte, PA): A family-owned and operated cidery located in the heart of Pennsylvania apple country.
- Shop online: Large-format bottles, as well as crowlers and growlers.
- Daily delivery within 20 miles of the cidery; weekend pick-ups offered from 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Bottles are buy 3, get 1 free.
Grand Illusion Hard Cider (Carlisle, PA): A cidery and bar serving the largest selection of Pennsylvania cider on draft in the world.
- Shop online: Cider six-packs, as well as food and non-alcoholic beverages from Grand Illusion’s restaurant.
- Pick-ups and local deliveries offered Monday and Wednesday through Saturday from 4:30 to 7 p.m.
Hale & True Cider (Philadelphia, PA): Making cider from fermented fresh Pennsylvania apple juice, straight from the orchard and into their tanks.
- Shop online: 32- and 64-ounce growler fills.
- Pick up at the to-go window at Hale & True’s cidery in South Philadelphia.
Hardball Cider (Mount Bethel, PA): A hard cider brand appealing to baseball fans.
- Shop online: 4-pack 16-ounce cans and growlers; wine and food also available.
- Pick-ups offered Thursday and Friday from 4 to 7:30 p.m. and Saturday from 2 to 7:30 p.m.; shipped orders require shopping from a different website.
Jack’s Hard Cider (Gettysburg, PA): Longstanding craft cider brand made with Adams County apples.
- Shop online: 6-packs of 12-ounce cans; wine also available.
- Pick-ups available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (please make an appointment in your order notes); shipping offered across PA. Shipping is 50% off on orders over $40.
KingView Mead, Wine & Cider (Mt. Lebanon, PA): A PA Limited Winery producing award-winning mead, hard cider and wine, and also supporting local farmers and providing assistance to the beekeeping community.
- Shop online: 22-oz. bottles of apple and fruit cider; wine and mead also available.
- Shipping offered across PA.
Kurant Cider (Philadelphia, PA): Small-batch, handcrafted ciders drawing inspiration from traditional French, English and Spanish ciders.
- Shop online: 32-oz. cans of various ciders include hopped and CBD ciders; beer and wine also available.
- Curbside pick-up offered at Kuran’s taproom in Fishtown, Thursday through Saturday from 3 to 7 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m.
- Shop online: Growlers and 12-packs of cider, as well as wine and beer.
- Daily pick-up at the taproom, open Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m, and weekends 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Levengood’s of Lancaster (Lancaster, PA): An urban cidery serving up a variety of its own handcrafted cider.
- Check Instagram to get a sense of what products (cans, bottles and growlers) are available each week. You can call or email in your order.
- You can also order through Commons Food Hub for pick up every Wednesday and Saturday.
- Pickups available at the cidery on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Manoff Market Cidery (New Hope, PA): The new craft cider brand launched by a popular pick-your-own fruit farm.
- Shop online: 750-ml. bottles of apple and fruit blended sparkling cider.
- Order ahead for curbside pick-up, offered Monday through Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 5:15 p.m., and Thursday through Saturday from noon to 5:30 p.m.
- Shop here for shipping to PA and a number of other states.
Old Stone Cider (Lewisville, PA): A family-run orchard nestled in the rolling hills of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- Shop online: 32- and 64-ounce growlers and 24-oz. cans of cider, cider shandy and cider sangria; beer also available.
- Pickups available at the cidery on Sundays from noon until 5 p.m.
Original 13 Ciderworks (Philadelphia, PA): An urban cidery in North Philadelphia serving Sir Charles hard cider.
- No online shop; check Instagram for weekly cider, beer and food takeout and curbside pick-up options.
Ploughman Cider (Aspers, PA): Farmhouse cider made with fruit from Three Springs Fruit Farm.
- Shop online: 750- and 500-ml. bottles and 12-oz. cans of a variety of ciders.
- Shipping offered across PA and to multiple other states.
Reid’s Orchard and Winery (Orrtanna, PA): A local family owned and operated orchard and winery, featuring small-batch wines and hard ciders.
- Check out the Reid’s website or Instagram to get a sense of what ciders are available each week. Growlers and bottles are available for pick-up. Pre-order using this form.
- Pick-ups offered via a takeout window at The Cider House in Gettysburg, Thursday through Sunday, noon to 6 p.m.
Spacetime Mead & Cider Works (Dunmore, PA): An experimentally-focused producer of different fermented beverages.
- Shop online: a variety of 750-ml. bottles of apple and pear cider; wine and mead also available.
- Curbside pickup offered Monday, Thursday and Friday from 1 to 7 p.m., and Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.; shipping also available across PA and other states.
SpringGate Vineyard and Winery (Harrisburg, PA): A family-owned winery located on 60 acres of farmland between the rolling hills of Lancaster County and Blue Mountain.
- Shop online: Apple and fruit ciders in 750-ml bottles and 12-oz. cans; wine and beer also offered.
- Pick-ups available at the winery daily from noon to 7 p.m.; local home deliveries take place Monday through Saturday.
Stone & Key Cellars (Montgomeryville, PA): An extremely talented cellar staff crafts world-class wine within their facility.
- For local pickup and delivery, fill in an order form here (items include cans and growlers). For orders that require shipping, shop here. Ciders available in 4-packs; wine also available.
- Local delivery is offered within 10 miles of the winery (and is free on orders over $75). Curbside pick-up is offered Sunday through Tuesday from 1 to 5 p.m., and Wednesday through Saturday from 1 to 7 p.m.
Threadbare Cider (Pittsburgh, PA): An urban cidery producing farmhouse, bottle-conditioned, hopped, wild-fermented and barrel-aged ciders.
- Shop online for drive-through pick-up (options include 750-ml bottles, variety packs and cases); for shipping to PA and 39 other states, see here.
- Pickups available at Wigle Whiskey Distillery, Monday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Wyndridge Farm (Dallastown, PA): A picturesque farm that functions as an event venue, and also a brewery that makes cider and beer.
- For shipping to PA and other states, shop online: 6-packs of 12-oz. cans of cider, including hopped and fruited flavors; beer also available.
- Farm store drive-through is offered Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 1 to 6 p.m., and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; see here for an updated list of offerings.
No matter where you live in PA, delicious local cider is right around the corner. Enjoy seasonal sipping while staying safe and shopping local!
- Feature photo: Dish Works
- Big Hill bottles photo: Big Hill Ciderworks
- Dressler Estate photo: Nina Lea Photography
- Ploughman cans photo: Dish Works for Ploughman Cider
- Levengoods and Wyndridge photos: Courtesy of the cideries