Pennsylvania farmers and producers need our help, now more than ever. Throughout the pandemic, they (like many artisans) PA cheese makers have taken a hit; and while farmers markets have been back in action for while now, they can still really use our support!
Below is a list of artisan producers offering ways to buy PA cheese from the comfort of your own home, as well as some smaller, independent retailers who carry local cheese and are offering either delivery or curbside pick-up. Any love you can give to Pennsylvania cheese makers is crucial, now as always. Plus, a little cheese plate is a nice treat with your at-home happy hours!
- Items include fresh and smoked mozzarella, mozzarella curds, fresh ricotta, multiple types of provolone, antipasto platter, cannoli kits.
- Items include: Different kinds of cheddar, Gouda and Alpine-style cheeses, mushroom and hot pepper cheese, and more.
- This joint project between Valley Milkhouse and Birchrun Hills is a cheese subscription that brings grass-fed, handmade cheese to you every other week, or monthly. The Spring 2022 spring season will be open for subscribers starting in March! Pick-up sites are available across Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.
- Items include: Various types of Colby, cheddar, cheese balls, fresh cheeses and cheese spreads.
- Items include: Cheese plate assortment, goat milk caramels and merchandise.
- This cheese share is 22 weeks, with 11 deliveries of 2 cheese items every other week. Pick-ups are available at Homefields Farm (Millersville, PA) and The Good Farm (Germansville, PA). Farmers Market pick-ups are located at the Headhouse Farmers Market in Philadelphia, every other Sunday.
- Styles of cheese range from cheddars and colbys to artisan cheeses, such as Hillacres Pride’s Susquehanna and Cave Aged Arcadia, as well as fresh cheeses, like ricotta and its signature flavored fresh cheeses.
- Items include: Gouda, havarti and various snack packs
- Items include: A curated variety of artisan cheese, including vegan cheese from Conscious Cultures. Plenty of other grocery items, prepared foods, baked goods and more available.
- Items include: Many, many varieties of cheese, charcuterie and specialty foods (crackers, oils and vinegar, jam, mustard, olives, etc.).
- Local cheeses: Goat Rodeo, Caputo Bros., Valley Milkhouse, The Farm at Doe Run.
- Items include: a large variety of specialty Italian groceries and prepared foods; local cheeses from the cheese case include The Farm at Doe Run.
Culinary Harvest (Wayne, PA): Online shop only, with weekly pick-ups
- Items include: Dozens of local cheeses, as well as numerous other locally-sourced products and produce
- Local cheeses: Farm at Doe Run, Caputo Bros., Birchrun Hills
- Items include: Dozens of Pennsylvania made cheese local cheese makers, as well as its own house label. Buy by the piece or check out the curated Gift Boxes.
- Items include: Almost any kind of cheese you can imagine, as well as charcuterie, specialty groceries (pasta, sweets, crackers, honey, etc.)
- Local cheeses: Abundantly Good, The Farm at Doe Run, Birchrun Hills, DiBruno’s own cheese spread.
- Items include: Rotating stock of local yogurt and cheese, as well as many specialty groceries and prepared foods.
- Items include: Small selection of local cheeses, as well as a curated PA Cheese Tasting Box
- A huge selection of PA-made goods and regional specialty foods are also available.
- Add on a supplemental cheese box to a customizable CSA-style produce box; local cheesemakers include Hillacres Pride, The Farm at Doe Run, Sunset Farm, Goot Essa, Goat Rodeo Farm & Dairy and Hidden Hills Dairy.
- In addition to many deli meats, prepared foods, coffee and jarred goods, find a variety of Lancaster cheeses, sliced or by the piece.
If we missed any PA cheese makers or local retailers, please let us know, in the comments here or on the PA Eats Facebook page!
- Photos: Cider Culture