One of our favorite comfort foods gets a summery update with the addition of local PA strawberries (shop your local farmers market to find the best ones), fresh basil, and not one, but two kinds of Pennsylvania cheese. Griddle up a few of these gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches before strawberry season is over!
PA Strawberry Basil Grilled Cheese
- 4 hearty slices whole grain bread
- 2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 6 to 8 strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Arrange bread on work surface and cover two slices with cheddar cheese. Arrange 4 basil leaves over each slice with cheddar. Top basil with even layer of strawberries and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Top with mozzarella and remaining slices of bread.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add first sandwich to skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Flip and cook another 4 to 5 minutes until bread is golden and cheese is melted. Remove sandwich from skillet and repeat with remaining butter and sandwich.