What makes rich, fudgy brownies even better? Coffee! Adding a dash of espresso powder and using a coffee-infused chocolate bar takes the flavor of this childhood classic and gives it a slightly serious, sophisticated update. This recipe, which comes to us from Sugar Plum Chocolates, a gourmet chocolate and nut company in Forty Fort, PA, uses organic homegrown eggs from Carbon County, plus organic dark Dutch Peruvian cocoa powder, and organic espresso chocolate melted in for a major dose of local love.
Sugar Plum Chocolates’ Organic Brownies with Organic Espresso Chocolate
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 1/4 cups organic dark cocoa
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) organic unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups organic sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Sugar Plum Chocolates’ Organic Espresso Chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the over to 350°F. Beat eggs, cocoa, vanilla, salt, baking powder and espresso until smooth.
- Melt butter and add sugar (make sure mixture is hot, about 110°), add to egg mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add flour and chocolate. Pour into a greased 9×13″ dish and bake until toothpick comes out clean (about 30 minutes).