Pennsylvania’s makers and independent producers are struggling right now as the retail world has basically turned upside down in the past month. If we want them to survive the COVID-19 crisis, we must support them! Many artisan companies are starting online sales platforms, and others who already sold products online, are doing all they can to promote and encourage consumers to buy products via these platforms. PA’s coffee community, usually so dependent on the day-to-day human interactions at coffee shops and cafes, is one such industry trying to quickly pivot to online-only sales.
Buying your coffee from a local roaster instead of from the supermarket is such an easy way to help a vulnerable sector of your community’s economy. These coffees are responsibly-sourced, freshly-roasted and will be on your doorstep in a matter of days! Many of these coffee companies also sell brewing equipment, like grinders and filters, if you are in need, or can grind you beans for you if you wish. There’s no good reason not to shop for coffee this way!
We’ve compiled a list of PA coffee roasters (which is by no means exhaustive, and we will be adding to as much as possible) where you can buy coffee from online. Whether you shop the website of the coffee shop you used to frequent in-person, or are excited to discover a new brand, commit to bringing some local coffee into your home!
Alabaster Coffee (Williamsport, PA): A nationally award-winning, family-owned micro-roaster and coffee bar, established in 2010
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, 12-oz. and 5-lb. bags of whole bean of ground coffee in blends, single origins and decaf.
- Merchandise, including gift cards, is on offer. All orders over $30 ship free, and local delivery is now available.
Awake Minds (Ardmore, PA): The coffee roasting side of Tired Hands Brewing Co.
Burlap and Bean Coffee (Media, PA): Independent coffeehouse and small batch coffee roasting company located in the western suburbs of Philadelphia
- Shop online: 16-oz. bags of coffee, whole bean or ground, including house blends, single origin coffees and flavored coffee (French Vanilla, Pumpkin Spice, etc.).
- Coffee of the Month subscriptions, brewing equipment, gift cards and merchandise available.
Cantrip Coffee (Philadelphia, PA): Two baristas-turned-roasters started this small company in 2019
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, 12-oz. bags of whole bean (1 blend and 2 single-origins); mugs also available.
The Coffee Tree Roasters (Pittsburgh, PA): Small local chain with five locations across Pittsburgh
- Shop online: 12-oz. bags of coffee (blends, single-country and decaf) whole bean or ground.
Concave Coffee (Philadelphia, PA): Surfer vibes from this one-person operation in Philly
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, sample packs and 12-oz. bags of single-origins and blends.
de Fer Coffee & Tea (Pittsburgh, PA): Founded in 2017 by Matt and Vanessa Marietti
- Shop online: 12-oz. bags of whole bean coffee, blends, single-origins and decaf; tea.
- Gift cards, brewing equipment and merch available.
Electric City Coffee Roasting Co. (Scranton, PA): Highly-regarded roastery in NEPA which works directly with the farmers, millers, and producers in coffee-producing regions of the world
- Shop online: 12-oz., 2.5-lb. and 5-lb. bags, whole bean or ground, mostly blends; use code FLATTENTHECURVE for free shipping site-wide.
- Single-serve K-cups; pre-portioned, pre-ground Brew Boxes.
- Coffee brewing equipment, gift cards and gear also available.
- Shop online: Coffee sampler, 12-oz. bags of whole bean coffee (blends and single-origins), chocolate and cartons of oat and soy milk.
- Gift cards and merchandise, like mugs, pins, t-shirts, glasses and brewing equipment also available.
Elixr Coffee (Philadelphia, PA): Hip coffee shop in Philly with a robust roasting and wholesale program
- Shop online: 12-oz. bags of whole bean single origins and blends, 3-bag bundles.
- Order online for pick-up at Elixr’s cafes.
Golden Valley Farms (West Chester, PA): Family-owned roastery specializing in organic, shade-grown, bird-friendly, and Fair Trade coffees
- Shop online: 12-oz bags of organic and Fair Trade whole bean coffee in light, medium and dark roasts, blends and single origins.
Green Street Coffee Roasters (Philadelphia, PA): Run by two brothers in South Philly with a brick and mortar shop in Midtown Village
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions and 12-oz. and 80-oz. bags of whole bean or ground coffee, blends and single-origins.
Hyrsek Farms: This new-ish roaster in the Poconos aims to “brew joy in every cup”
- Shop online: 12-oz. bags of single origin beans
KVLN Coffee Lab (Pittsburgh, PA): A specialty, Scandinavian style coffee roaster with a shop in the East End
- Shop online: 8-oz bags of sustainably produced, washed specialty Arabica whole bean coffee.
- Shop goods (milk, bread, eggs, granola, etc.) available for curbside pick-up.
- Fundraising for local healthcare workers; see here.
Lancaster County Coffee Roasters (Lancaster, PA): Family-owned small batch roastery founded over a decade ago
- Shop online: 12-oz. and 16-oz bags of coffee, whole bean or ground; many options include blends, single-origin and flavored (eg. caramel cream).
- Gift certificates and merch also available.
Little Amps Coffee (Harrisburg, PA): Rock and roll loving coffee brand with a shop in Olde Uptown
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, 12-oz. and 5-lb. bags of whole bean coffee, blends, single-origins and decaf; instant coffee.
- Gift cards and merch also available.
Loyal Rift Coffee Roasters Co.: Pennsylvania-based roastery shipping out freshly roasted single origin beans
- Shop online: 12-oz. bags of whole beans or brewing-specific ground coffee
MáQUINA Coffee Roasters (West Chester, PA): Founded by Gabe Boscana, a former barista, trainer and green coffee buyer with over 16 years experience in specialty coffee
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions; 12-oz. bags in single-origins and blends; use the code HOMEBODY for $3 off per month for 3 months of subscriptions.
- Merchandise available.
Monancy Coffee (Bethlehem, PA): Founded by Dan Taylor and Matt Hengeveld, friends since 2007 and business partners since 2015
- Shop online: 12-oz. bags of whole bean coffee, blends and single-origins.
Necessary Coffee (Lancaster, PA): A social-mission driven, accessible “everyday” line of coffees recently introduced by Passenger Coffee
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, 12-oz. and 5-lb. bags of whole bean or ground coffee, blends, decaf and single-country.
One Village Coffee (Souderton, PA): A founding Certified B Corporation that has connected roasters, growers and coffee drinkers since 2007
- Shop online: Search by roast level, blends, single-origin and decaf.
- Special: To take 25% off your coffee order, use the code PAEATS (code expires May 30th at 11:59 p.m. ET).
Ox Coffee (Philadelphia, PA): A unique, independent, specialty coffee shop and roaster committed to quality and education, with a retail cafe in Society Hill
- Shop online: 10-oz. and 5-lb. bags of single-origin and blends.
- Merch and gift cards available.
Passenger Coffee (Lancaster, PA): A certified B Corporation focused on building meaningful partnerships with producers throughout the world, and supporting an equitable supply chain
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions; 5-oz., 10-oz. and 2-lb. whole bean bags in different “lots” (reserve, education, exclusive), instant coffee and tea.
- Merchandise (shirts, mugs, etc.), gift cards, brewing equipment and teawares available.
ReAnimator Coffee (Philadelphia, PA): A highly-esteemed roastery with multiple cafes and strong direct-to-consumer and wholesale programs
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, instant coffee, and 12-oz. bags of whole bean single origins and blends.
- Merch like t-shirts, totes, mugs and pins available.
Rival Bros. (Philadelphia, PA): Founded by chef Jonathan Adams and acclaimed roaster Damien Pileggi.
- Shop online: Subscriptions available; 12-oz. and 5-lb. bags of single origins, blends and decaf; buy 2 bags of coffee free shipping! 5-lb bags ship for free.
- Pre-order cafe pick-up available.
Rothrock Coffee: (State College, PA): A coffee shop and coffee roaster named after Rothrock State Forest.
- Shop online: 5-pound and 12-ounce bags of coffee, whole bean or ground in blends and single origins; subscriptions, instant coffee sachets and merch also available
- 100% of proceeds from a special dark roast coffee go to support Rothrock’s staff
- Pick-up and local delivery from the cafe are also offered
Square One Coffee (Lancaster, PA): A family-owned award-winning micro-roaster that’s spent 14 years roasting and serving some of the highest quality coffee in the world
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, sample box, 12-oz. and 5-lb. bags of whole bean coffee, blends, single-origins, decaf and teas
- Gift cards, barista tips and merch available.
- Same day/next day delivery in Lancaster; free UPS shipping on all orders over $25.
Triangle Roasters (Philadelphia, PA): Founded by four friends to roast carefully-sourced coffee and cocoa beans using Direct Trade models.
- Shop online: Coffee subscriptions, 12-oz. bags of whole bean blends, single-origins and decaf, and specialty roasted chocolate bars.
- Shop online: 12-oz. or 5-lb. bags of whole bean coffee in blends, single-country and decaf.
- Aeropress brewer available.
Valerio Coffee Roasters (Audubon, PA): A small micro roaster of Fair Trade, organic, single origin specialty coffees grown
- Shop online: 1-lb. bags of organic, Fair Trade coffee in single-country and blends, whole bean or ground.
- Merch and brewing equipment available.
- Coffee subscriptions, sample packs and 10-oz. bags of single-origins and blends.
- Grinders, espresso machines and mugs also available.
Who are your favorite coffee roasters in PA? Let us know in the comments here or on the PA Eats Facebook page!
- Feature photo: Necessary Coffee
- Pour over and Passenger photos: Passenger Coffee
- Little Amps photo: Little Amps Coffee
- Elementary Coffee photo: Elementary Coffee Co.
- One Village Coffee photo: One Village Coffee