Make no mistake: We love oats. We love them jazzed up with spices and pumpkin for a hearty oatmeal, and blended with peanut butter and jelly to make easy snack bars. We love oats savory, topped with a fried egg, and baked with applesauce. There are so many ways to enjoy this versatile, healthy grain, but oats aren’t the only grain that can make a delicious breakfast bowl!
Brown rice is also a stellar base for a nourishing breakfast porridge, akin to rice pudding, but a bit lighter in terms of sugar. Our brown rice breakfast porridge is gently spiced with cinnamon, and topped with chopped nuts for texture, and applesauce and dates for a touch of sweetness. Feel free to use any kind of milk you have on hand, from skim or whole milk to any kind of non-dairy milk alternative.
One-Pot Brown Rice Breakfast Porridge
- 3 cups milk, dairy or plant-based
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, such as almonds, walnuts or pecans
- Honey or maple syrup, optional, for garnish
- Combine milk, brown rice, cinnamon and salt in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and mixture has thickened, about 35 minutes.
- Divide rice porridge between two serving bowls. Top each bowl evenly with applesauce, dates and nuts. Garnish with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup (if using) and additional cinnamon. Serve warm.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works