There’s a lot to love about this microwave cornbread recipe, but here are our top three reasons:
- It’s so versatile. Cornbread is the all-purpose side dish that turns everything into a meal: Try a slice at breakfast alongside scrambled eggs; at lunch with bean and corn salad; at dinner, with a bowl of chili or any soup or stew.
- It’s delicious. What’s not to love about golden, slightly sweet, pleasantly textural cornbread? Even the pickiest eaters can get behind it. Not sure what to bring to a picnic, tailgate or potluck? Cornbread is the answer!
- It’s so quick and easy. There’s no need to even turn on the oven; the simple batter comes together in one bowl, and then it is “baked” in the microwave for a few minutes. That’s it!
Convinced? Make a batch, and enjoy with homemade honey butter (the technique is included in the recipe)! We also like it slathered with apple butter or jam for an afternoon snack.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|5 min||8 min||13 min|
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine butter and honey (if using). Set aside.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing dish
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk, or buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Grease a 8×8-inch baking dish with butter. In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together until combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add milk, butter and eggs. Mix together until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Microwave on high for 5-8 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into 8 squares. Serve with honey butter and enjoy.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works