Move over, avocado: There’s a new toast topping in town. Smashed beans on toast, bulked up with some greens and a savory tomato sauce, make a delicious snack, lunch or light dinner with a little green salad on the side. You can even try it for breakfast with a fried egg on top!
Smashed Beans on Toast
|Serves 4-6 people|
- 1/4 cup plus two tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small loaf bread (such as an Italian roll), cut into quarters
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch greens or kale, rinsed and chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes, or 1 (14-ounce) can spaghetti sauce
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or black beans, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups cooked beans (pinto, navy or kidney)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place bread on baking sheet. Drizzle bread with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat medium pot over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining olive oil and onion and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes, until onions begin to soften.
- Add garlic and stir for another minute. Add chopped greens and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir until greens have wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place bread in oven to lightly toast, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add canned tomatoes or spaghetti sauce and beans to the pot, and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Check bread; if lightly toasted, remove from oven.
- With a fork, smash one-third of the beans in pot. Top toasts with beans and greens mixture.
- Recipe: Karen Ferries-Yoon
- Photo and video: Dish Works